Delta G.E.M.S. (Growing & Empowering Myself Successfully) is a natural outgrowth and expansion for the continuation of the highly successful “Dr. Betty Shabaaz Delta Academy: Catching the Dreams of Tomorrow”, Delta G.E.M.S. was created to “catch the dreams” of at-risk, adolescent girls aged 14-18. Delta G.E.M.S. provides the framework to actualize those dreams through the performance of specific tasks that develop a “CAN DO” attitude.
Delta G.E.M.S is national signature program of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and is being sponsored locally by Brooklyn Alumnae Chapter and Epsilon Pi Chapter.
The Delta G.E.M.S. framework is composed of five major components (Scholarship, Sisterhood, Show Me the Money, Service, and Infinitely Complete), forming a road map for college and career planning. Topics within the five major components are designed to provide interactive lessons and activities that provide opportunities for self-reflection and individual growth.
Delta G.E.M.S. is geared toward inspiring and enriching young women. Delta G.E.M.S will participate in public service projects, college preparatory workshops, bonding activities, a college tour and social outings.
The goals of the Delta G.E.M.S Program are:
- To develop strong, confident and respectful young ladies and prepare them to take an active role in their success and society. To instill in girls the need to excel academically.
- To provide tools that will enable girls to sharpen and enhance their skills to achieve high levels of academic successes.
- To assist girls in proper goal setting and planning for their futures.
- To create compassionate, caring, and community minded young women by actively involving them in service learning and community service opportunities.
In order to participate in the Delta G.E.M.S. program, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of Kings County.
- Be in grades 9-12 (ages 14 -18).
Delta G.E.M.S. is designed for young ladies who exemplify one or more of the following characteristics:
- Young women, who have potential, but need guidance, support and skills to achieve success.
- Young women who are interested in developing leadership skills.
- Young women who are actively pursuing college and or career options.
- Young women who need encouragement ad support in pursuit of higher learning.
- Young women identified by schools, churches, and youth groups, etc.
All of the sessions will take place in Brooklyn, NY. Participants will be notified two weeks in advance of each session location.